Alright, so we’re all about making that extra income. Sometimes we just need a little something extra to get us through the week or the month. I can say that I know I have been one of those people who are always looking up more ways to make some extra money and I have determined things that work and don’t work based on my experience. I’m going to go over ten ways to make some extra money. Look out for a post about what doesn’t work.
Now before we get into this, I want to clarify that these are not get rich quick schemes and you’re certainly not going to be able to quit your day job. This list is just to give some tips and suggestions on ways you can supplement any income you are already making. I think what most people misunderstand when they read blog posts is misleading. If you’re on pinterest especially, as much as I am, then you know some titles will pull you in by telling you, you could make over two hundred dollars a week doing these things. Maybe if you had fourteen hours a day, seven days a week you might be able to but even still I really doubt it.
6. Review Music/Videos/Websites
So as I’m sure you know, when looking for ways to make more money you can find a lot of tips for things like reviewing things like music and websites. And I can verify you can make money doing this. You just have to know where to go. Now like I said earlier, you’re not going to make a ton of money doing any of these things, but with patience and effort you can make a little bit of extra income to put aside for a rainy day. Here are some places that I use myself that have review websites, music and such. All of these require a paypal account for payment.
- Slice the pie So this website pays you for your opinion. You will review mostly music, but they have started posting new stuff to review like fashion and videos. Each review is only worth a few cents and you need to make a minimum of ten bucks before you can cash out. Each review requires a minimum word count before you can submit too.
- UserTesting This is a website that pays you to review other websites and apps. There aren’t a lot of tests available everyday (but it also depends on your profile) They do sometimes have surveys for you to fill out. This one offers bigger pays on each test but the cash out is a minimum of ten bucks.
- Qmee This is a website/browser extension that shows you other options while you shop. So if you’re looking at external hard drives (for example, because I know I have been) The extension will pop up a sidebar that shows you options of other websites that sell similar items. And when you click on them you get paid a few cents. You can cash out at any time and they do also have surveys you can complete everyday as long as you qualify.
5. Drive For Uber/Uber eats or Lyft
Now I can’t really speak for Lyft a whole lot but the concept to Uber is very similar.
- Lyft You need to be at least 21 years old, have a valid driver’s license and of course auto insurance. Also I think what some people forget to mention is that you also have to have a four door car. If you have a hatchback like me with two doors then you will not qualify to drive with Lyft or Uber. I’m not sure how they pay out works with Lyft but I have to imagine it’s similar to Uber.
- Uber All of the same things of applying to be a Lyft driver apply to being a an Uber driver as well. But the pay out I can tell you about. You can sign up for a debit card through Uber which can be useful. But otherwise you would link your checking account to your profile so they can direct deposit the money every Friday. You get paid per drive depending on miles and how long the drive is and if you have to take any tolls. You would download their partner app, finish your profile and start driving.
- Uber Eats Alright so it’s the same concept as Uber driving using the same app. The only difference you have to apply for Uber Eats separately. Now the pay isn’t the same but payout is. If you link a card to your account you can cash out everyday and have money available to you however at a fee. The only way you get away with not having that fee is if you get the Uber debit card which is supplied by GoBank. There are even certain times of the day when they have “boosts” which are increased driving rates.
4. Getting Healthier
Now believe or not there are apps out there that you can use to not only help you get fit but also make some money. So not only are reaching a goal that you’re setting for yourself but you are also making a little as an extra bonus!
- Achievement So this has been a great tool for me because I can keep track of all of my steps (most iphones already do that I know but there’s a reason I check this one more). You use this on your smart device to keep track of your steps to gain points. You will be awarded so many points based on how you did that day. If you look at the above picture I walked 10, 488 steps and earned 28 points that day. My total amount of points are 3,460 and I need to earn 10,000 to make $10. This isn’t by any means a quick or easy way to earn money, but since you walk everyday anyway and if you have set a fitness goal for yourself, why not make a little money for doing it? For me it’s just another motivation to make sure I reach my goal that day (my daily goal is a minimum of 8,000 steps). With the link I have provided you can go to the site as well to create a login and they do provide surveys that you can earn points from as well.
- Healthy Wage is another fantastic way to get fit and make some money, however buyer beware you do have to take a risk on this one. So the risk is, you basically are betting for yourself. Not against yourself, but for yourself. You make a goal, say you need to lose 40 pounds. And you make a bet that you can do it in a certain amount of time. Now it all depends on how much you’re willing to bet and if you can achieve your goal (and of course you can as long as you try!) in the allotted time. You’ll bet a certain amount every month and weigh in. If you have met your goal for the month awesome! If not, then you’ll be paying out that month. The lowest running time is six months, so you have to be prepared to work hard and reach that goal each of those months. And if you make it, then you can make as much as 1,000 bucks! Seriously, some people need that real incentive to lose those extra pounds and this is a great way to do that because everyone likes to make money not lose.
3. Dog Sitting
Alright so not everyone should do this one but if you love dogs then I think it’s a great way to make new wagging friends. I’m only going to tell you about one site because it’s the one I use and I have been doing it for over a year now and for the most part it has been a great experience.
- Rover I have been a Rover sitter for over a year now and it has been pretty great. Really quick I want to explain why I say for the most part. I say for the most part because of an incident I had with an owner. I sat his dogs as a favor to my friend who also works through Rover. She couldn’t watch them the full two weeks so for the last week, I met the guy and his dogs and we agreed I would watch them. I watched his dogs for a week. Now I also at the time worked (two blocks from his apartment) nights at the performing arts center. Long story short, the guy comes back from his travel for work and says that I had left his place trashed, he called me liar for various reasons (according to him) and the guy was just…vulgar. I reported him to Rover, gave him a refund because I was so disgusted by his behavior and he still left a nasty review which I responded to in turn. So yes, you might get your crazy owners who in my case was trying to ruin my job. But please don’t let this turn you off from doing it, I just felt I should give a fair warning that there are crazy people out there who are not afraid to lie and make you cry. But I digress. So you can set your own rates, you determine if you want to work holidays, and if you’re willing to have them board at your house. I don’t provide boarding but that is up to you and whether you can or not. I have had a few regulars I’m down to just one regular at the moment (everyone in my state is moving, it’s crazy) but I also get random books from owners who just need their dog walked while they’re at work.
2. Using your skills
So there are plenty of places where you can offer up your skills, for instance maybe you’re a graphic designer or you make some pretty cool paintings. Use that to your advantage and make some money!
- Fiverr Here is where you can offer freelance services. I tried it once but realized I don’t have the discipline to check that website everyday because I already have so much going on. But if you depend on freelancing and you need to make some extra money doing what you already do best then this is probably for you. You advertise what you do, maybe you make jingles and you set a rate for (a list of options even) and make sure to have examples so people are more likely to pick you. I’m currently looking through a wide list of graphic designers on there to see if I find one I can work with.
- Etsy I actually have a friend who is making a killing making crochet bears. I believe she is opening an etsy store soon. If you have a crafty skill then you could open an etsy store. As long as you know how to market yourself well you should be able to sell some things. The idea is you’re banking on the lazy people who don’t have the ‘time’ to make the things you sell. You do have to have a certain number of items to list before you can open the store so maybe spend some time making your product before doing so. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.
Get a job
Nothing beats like going out and getting a job. I have held down a minimum of two jobs since I entered the workforce at 18. I have held a maximum of three over the years. Currently I am working three and I do all of the things listed above as well. Oh and I still attend college! So I don’t want to hear that it can’t be done, it most certainly can be done. And if you’re a young *cough* twenty-three like me then do it. Until you have finished school (or if that isn’t your path maybe you find something better) try to save as much money as possible. I wish I had listened to my parents and learned from watching them. Being in so much debt this young really sucks. I am worried about money but at the same time I only have this one life so I have to live it too. But if you really need money, stop looking for the easy way and just go and get a job!